ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The ideal Creative Director candidate should be well versed in visual storytelling on both print and digital publishing platforms, with a solid background in design and journalism. This position is responsible for driving new and creative forms of story telling on all platforms, and is expected to contribute to, and edify, editorial planning discussions at all levels. The ideal candidate will have managerial experience, and a diverse background working with editors, designers, photographers and graphic artists. The Creative Director is expected to stay current and well-versed in technological developments impacting design and its execution.
The Creative Director oversees, coordinates and implements the design, look and feel for Pacific Business News across all departments. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Creative Director ensures the highest possible design standards are met by PBN – day in and day out online, and week in week out in print.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute company wide design format, standards and style guide.
- Work hand-in-hand with PBN news team to creatively present stories and data on all platforms.
- In consultation with Publisher and Editor-in-Chief, design special sections and reports for multiple platforms.
- Enforce weekly deadlines and daily workflow to ensure highest quality and execution is possible for Weekly Edition.
- Generate graphics, images and layout in conjunction with editors, reporters and photographer to drive story-telling and reader engagement.
- Contribute story ideas regularly, as well as a constant stream of ideas for stories already in the pipeline.
- Champion, and execute, new story-telling formats.
- Collaborate with the Advertising/Marketing Designer, including work regarding marketing and advertising campaigns, including print ads, digital ads, Power Point presentations, flyers, email newsletters and other collateral materials
- Seek regular feedback and ideas from design peers and corporate Creative Director.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
- Supervise Photographer: Brainstorm with photographer during editorial planning process; edit photographer’s work after assignments; assign annual goals and perform annual review.
- Supervise Research Director: Work closely with research director on expanded list content for the weekly edition and website as well as oversee the production and design of the Book of Lists; ensure content meets company standards and work is performed in a timely manner; assign annual goals and perform annual review.
- Liaison with outside printer: Will be primary contact between Pacific Business News and the printer; requires scheduling, planning, and deadline setting – both internally and externally.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience working in a newsroom or editorial operation
- Expert in Adobe CS programs InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Work both within, and outside of, the editorial team
- Strong communicator, able to articulate the design vision and story telling ideas to editors and reporters alike
- Versatile with a strong ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Positive attitude
Pacific Business News and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. Pacific Business News is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Email resume and a link to design samples to VP/Content Jon Wile at [email protected]. Only applications with design samples and editorial experience will be considered (please do not send work samples as PDFs or attachments). No phone calls please.