The pagination desk designer/sports works in the newsroom and produces sections using design software. The designer ensures that the publication adheres to Gazette style and is visually appealing. This position requires high-level skills to enhance the sports section, which includes coverage of the Broncos, Air Force Academy, Olympics, Avalanche, Nuggets, Rockies, Pikes Peak Hill Climb, high schools and more, including special sections and magazines. The position also requires business and news section design as needed.
Essential job duties and responsibilities:
- Places stories, photos and other display elements in appropriate sections based on budgets to create compelling, clean and accurate print pages.
- Puts suggested headlines, subheads, captions and other display type (provided by assigning editors) on stories to complete the layout.
- Routes completed stories to be proofed.
- Proofs pages as needed.
- Has a mastery of DTI, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and other newsroom computer systems.
- Performs well under deadline pressure and meets print deadline each day or evening.
- Multitasks and ensures consistent page flow during a shift.
- Creates standout designs for key sections as time allows.
- Completes special sections, illustrations and other graphic elements as assigned.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Some other duties include:
- Designs and edits wire pages and politics page(s) as needed, coordinating with editors.
- Compiles and designs advance content.
- Designs, proofs and compiles other content as needed.
- Web design and interactive work as assigned.
Minimum education and work experience requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study with minimum of three years of experience. A combination of experience and education may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Must be highly detail-orientated and meticulous in use of correct templates, DTI libraries, Gazette style guide and other page design standards and systems.
- Demonstrates mastery of a variety of page designs, including news, sports, features, local and business sections as well as special products (Broncos magazine, etc).
- Ability to exercise independent thinking and sound news judgment.
- Ability to apply effective time management and self-management skills in a busy work environment; ability to meet deadlines despite regular interruptions.
- Must be able to multitask, balance priorities and work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Intermediate or expert-level computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Interested candidates should apply via our Career Center: