The Washington Business Journal is looking for a versatile designer who has displayed a high level of quality visual journalism and also has the marketing sense and creativity to develop powerful ad campaigns. This position will work on the editorial design of the weekly newspaper and digital platform, as well as the marketing design of the Business Journal’s signature events. We are located in Arlington Va., just across the Potomac River from Washington D.C. In fact, you can see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial from our new office space.
- The designer will maintain high standards for visual storytelling throughout the print issue and website, with a keen eye for presentation, photography, typography and graphics.
- Participate in story planning sessions with editorial staff, contributing creative ideas to illustrate difficult, conceptual stories and driving non-narrative story forms.
- Come up with fairly brilliant ideas every now and again.
- Analyze large spreadsheets of data, fully grasp the most important elements for our readers, then create high-impact, compelling informational graphics.
- Assist with photo research and assignments.
- Responsible for some production and pre-press duties including photo color correction.
- Work will fellow designers on marketing and advertising campaigns, including print ads, digital ads and other collateral, from conception to execution.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years of publication design experience for a news organization.
- Excellent command of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Illustration skills are a big plus, as are copy editing, headline writing and HTML/CSS skills.
- Experience commissioning and art directing photos and illustrations also beneficial.
- The ability to articulate the logic, inspiration and usefulness of your design to your editorial and advertising colleagues and to outside clients.
The Washington Business Journal and its 40+ sister publications are part of American City Business Journals, the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by hundreds of business executives. The Washington Business Journal is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.
Email resume and a link to design samples to VP/Content Jon Wile at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications with design samples and editorial experience will be considered (please do not send work samples as PDFs or attachments). No phone calls please.